Thursday 4 April 2013

Thursday's Random Thought - Dignity and Stereotypes


I recently had a conversation with a friend around the subject of dignity.  How we allow people to either uplift or belittle our own sense of dignity and self worth.  I try to keep my “Random Thoughts” postings short and sweet so I won’t go into details, but a lot of what we discussed led back to the issue of stereotyping and expectations (good and bad) based on perceptions with no solid grounding.

Stereotyping is usually unfairly based on many factors most of which are totally out of the realm of our control; color, sex, heritage, social status (or lack thereof), job (or lack thereof), education (or lack thereof) and, yes, even weight and body type. 

On the heels of the conversation I came across the following picture.  Strangely, this happens frequently?  Maybe my brain is just tuned to the recent topic of conversation and notices appropriate material more easily?  But that sounds like a discussion for a different blog!  Back on topic … this picture exemplifies the idea of stereotypes surrounding body types.  Whether overweight or not, some people have preconceived notions of what other people are like.  It’s not fair to the person believing the stereotype, or to the person who is the subject of the preconceived idea.  I think everyone loses out.

It made me think … so I thought I’d share it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment